Sunday, July 22, 2007

Who's that pretty girl in that mirror there?

I went shopping today for the first time really since taking off all this weight.

My husband found a merchandise credit in a drawer from Lands End that I can't even remember how I got. Well, Sears sells Lands End but I can't use the credit in the store...only online.

So off to Sears I went...to try some things on.

After the size 8 jeans experience the other day, I picked up a few things in an 8 but once I was in the fitting room, found that two of the items were actually a 6. Which I didn't notice until I had them ON. A SIX, are they kidding? Must be a fluke.

I quickly tried on something else in a 6...and it fit too.

How can this be? When I look in the mirror, I see the same person I saw 3 months ago. More or less. This is the same person who was squeezing into a 14. Is Lands End trying to play some cruel joke on me or it is possible that I am really a 6? or an 8? Whatever. I don't really care which.

Kind of makes me want to wear a big freakin' sign that says "yes, these pants are a 6!" But no one would care but me...and perhaps a few friends and family who know how hard I've struggled with my weight.

Next, I ventured to the (gasp) bathing suits. Lands End carries these great tankini separates that are actually cut for grown ups. I picked up a size 10 top (because, ironically, I couldn't find one smaller) and a 6 bottom. And yes, the 10 was too big and the 6 fit perfectly. I'm seriously still in amazement that the size 10 top was too big. I'm standing the fitting room thinking...."they must've labeled this wrong"... or "some bigger girl tried it on and stretched it out."

But what if that's not it?

What if I really am that size?

Why don't I see it?

I mean, I know what the scale says. I know that I've lost 33 pounds. And I know how badly the clothes in my closet fit me...so why am I having so much trouble accepting what is staring me in the face in that fitting room.

When will my brain catch up with my body and see what is staring me in the face?

A thin person.

Stay tuned for (a little) less of me.

No comments: