Sunday, July 29, 2007

Turning a New Page

This dieting thing, it's certainly a work in progress.

Initially my goals were really to drop about 40 pounds and wear a single digit size in time for my big vacation next month. But that's truly just the tip of the iceberg.

Did I need to drop the weight? Absolutely. (you've seen the pictures!) But the bigger issue (pardon the pun) was that I needed a long term solution to the ongoing struggle I've had with my weight.

As many of you may know from reading my other blog, I travelled down the Kimkins road back in April and embarked on a low fat/ low carb diet that helped me lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time. And as I've said before, no one was more surprised than me. I am down 33.5 pounds and now wear a 6 or an 8. A size I have not been probably since junior high.

Lately, however, I've done some careful consideration on whether this was a long term solution to my issues. And the answer was a resounding "no". A few weeks ago, I started digging around and asking a bunch of questions about maintenance on Kimkins (which seems to be made up as it goes along) or maintenance on Atkins. Or some other mutation. I figured that if I did enough digging, I would come up with an answer that made sense to me and the way I live.

It's that work in progress thing again.

Ironically, I think that once I started thinking this way, I started eating more Atkins-like anyway. I increased my fat intake and as a result my calorie count... and I still continued to lose weight. I am living a low carb life in a way that makes sense to me.

Add to that, the fact that I've been doing my own bit of research and been reading the blogs of several people who's opinions I trust (see the links on the right) and we all seem to be reaching these same conclusions.

So, somewhere in this whole mess is a tweaked version of a low carb life that works for me. It may take me a little while to figure out exactly what that is, but it is my new quest to do so. I've gone and re-read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Read a few other low carb books on the market and reserved Atkins for Life from the local library. I'm doing my best to (re)educate myself and make decisions that are not just about that single digit size but about long term choices that will keep me there.

Yesterday, I started a new exercise regime...(translated: I started exercising at all!) I have a hand me down Fitness Flyer (like a Gazelle). I did 10 minutes last night (no easy feat, I assure you). And then 10 more minutes this afternoon. Trying to work my way up to 30 minutes without killing myself or losing my enthusiasm.

And tomorrow, I will do it again as well as I embark on an Atkins-like Induction to try and get the last few remaining pounds off before my trip which is less than 3 weeks away.

Stay tuned for less of me...and a better me. Will you join me?

6 comments:

Robin said...

Good going on breaking up the workouts to increase your strength. If you try to go all out you will burnout. You may even hurt yourself. Exercise is the best thing you can do for your body. You will notice yourself getting smaller even though the scale isn't moving. That is the wonder of exercising!!
Also...good for you on deciding to listen closely to what your body is telling you. You will find that magic bullet within yourself and ultimately reach the goal that you are shooting for...weight or health wise.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Come join the rest of us as we try to figure out life after Kimkins! [url=http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/kimkins/492195-calling-all-kimmers-maintainers-how-has-been-you-23.html]Low Carb Friends[/url]

The numbers are growing!

Anonymous said...

I am right there with ya! My doctor and I sat down and came up with a modified version of Kimkins that would be healthier for me. He does not think that K/E for extended periods of time is healthy, nor does he think Boot Camp with it's very low calories with exercise is healthy.

As a matter of fact what I'm doing is more like Atkins '72, with the exception of counting net carbs. I'm not counting net carbs, but instead total carbs.

I'm in the process now of adding back things such as low carb berries and fruits and also upping my vegetable carbs. I am still losing weight and lightening speed and feeling better than I ever did while doing K/E or Boot Camp!

Keep up the good work you're doing here!

Tish
www.lowcarbandlovingit.blogspot.com

Scale Mistress said...

Tish-
Glad to hear you are on top of things. I think we all owe it to ourselves to do that.

I am finding it easier to count total carbs than get involved with net carbs because I feel like I'm more consistent that way.

Anonymous- I'd love to join you over there as soon as the administrators OK my registration. Hopefully, it won't be long.

leaveme alone said...

I have 11.5 lbs until goal, so I don't want to change much until I get down a little bit lower. I have never done anything other than the Kimkins plan (never K/e or bootcamp), so my lose is only about 1 1/2 lbs each week.

I could never maintain well on Atkins. That is how I first lost all my weight and then gained back 30 lbs.

Maintenance is a big ? for me. I am not certain what to do, or what will work. I will keep following you as sell as some others trying some maintenance experiments.

Anonymous said...

Hi: I think your choice to figure out what works for you is sane and savvy. I'm doing Atkins induction this week, too (though I've got a much longer way to go than you). Good luck and take care.