Thursday, August 2, 2007

Low Carb Challenges When Out of Your Comfort Zone

I'm fortunate that I don't have to travel often for work. But about once a month, I find myself spending a night or two in a nice hotel in Boston. (which is where I am as I type this). Traveling is mostly a hassle but even more so when you are watching your carbs. As we know, convenience food is typically wrapped in bread or sugar.

I usually travel by train (which takes about 3 hours) and there is a cafe car but like airplane food, it's not exactly low carb friendly. So, I tried to be smart about it and packed in my purse some low carb bars and some carb friendly trail mix.

Then I actually had a salad on the train and didn't have to dig into those snack bars at all...but I sure was glad I had them.

So it's not impossible to stick to the program even when out of your comfort zone of your own refrigerator. Not easy. But not impossible.

Tonight, I'll head out to dinner with a co-worker which is a challenge whenever a restaurant is involved. but I was able to check out the restaurant's web site and was thrilled to see all the broiled steak, grilled chicken and lots of fish. I'll let you know how well I do.

Also as little side note, since I tweaked my program, I've been struggling a little with appropriate carb, fat and protein levels. I completely expected my weight to fluctuate while in this transition phase. I went up and down all week and ultimately landed a half pound more than last Thursday. I'm not worried though. A few things are contributing to it, I'm sure. First, I'm so close to goal so I know my body is settling in... plus there's the adjustments in my diet, some bloating, and perhaps my daily efforts on my Fitness Flyer. (humor me and tell me the part about muscle weighing more than fat.)

We leave on our trip in exactly two weeks. I'd like to lose just 5 more pounds by then and I will do my best to get there!

Stay tuned for less of me.

4 comments:

DD Jameson said...

If you have to travel, Boston is not a bad place to be. One of my very favorite cities. Eat some great seafood for me.

The Contessa said...

Honey - I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But...

1lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat.

A lb is a lb is a lb.

the difference is the mass. A lb of muscle is a small compact package whereas a lb of fat is a big glob of stuff....

Thus you can have more of the compact lbs and look slimmer than if you had less of globulous fat lbs. Kind of a nice gig though really. It's true that the number is only a number to a degree!

But if you want me to make you feel better....
muscle weighs more than fat.

Amy Dungan said...

I have to chime in with The Contessa. I have a great picture that shows the difference in size of 5 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat. I'd be glad to share it if it will encourage you any. :0)

I'm getting ready to leave for vacation as well.. eating is always a challenge, but it can be done. You'll do great!

I also wanted to let you know my forum is up. I'm still in the customizing stages, but it's usable. You can find it at www.healthylowcarbliving.com/forum. Hope to see you there soon!

Amy Dungan said...

I have a picture of 5 lbs of fat (plastic.. not real) compared to 5 lbs of muscle. I'd be glad to share it if it will encourage you! :0)

I'm getting ready to leave on vacation and know it will be a bit difficult to eat right while I'm gone, but I have done it before and I can do it again. You'll do great!

You asked me to let you know when my forum was up. It's now up and running. I'm still working on customizing it, but it works. You can find it at www.healthylowcarbliving.com/forum. Hope to see you there soon!