Saturday, August 11, 2007

Carribean Cruise vs. Low Carb Eating: Is success possible?

I know I can't be the only one on a low carb program who is taking a cruise this summer. And anyone who has been on a cruise knows what an overabundance of food there is at every turn.

You can literally eat yourself into oblivion 24/7.

Needless to say, after all of my hard work, I'm working myself into a bit of a frenzy over striking a balance between enjoying myself and not undoing all my hard work.

I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to deny myself anything that I REALLY want. But I also don't want every meal to be an invitation to overdo it.

So can it be done? Can I make good choices so that those "special" meals or treats are truly special? What can I do to offset the straying from my normal eating routine that is just plain bound to happen? And what consequences am I willing to live with so that I'm not at square one when the trip is over?

First things first. YES it can be done. I found this article from Cruise Traveler's magazine which has some great tips for staying on track even when surrounded by the temptation of a cruise. Most of this was stuff I already knew from my cruising experience but it was great to see it all in one place and remind myself that it's not impossible.

My plan is this:
  • I will make good food choices whenever possible.
  • I will stay away from high carb foods like bread, pasta and potatoes.
  • When drinking, I will stay away from the fruity drinks that are full of sugar.
  • I will allow myself to indulge in ONLY those foods that represent an experience that I cannot get anywhere else.
  • I will not eat dessert every night just because I can.
  • I will make every attempt to get to the gym on board several times during the week. (REALLY!)
Consequences:
  • I am prepared to come back a few pounds heavier than when I left.
  • I will not let it discourage my success after the trip.
And finally, I am determined that whatever extra weight I come back with will not give me an open invitation to gain it all back.

I will keep this single digit size long after the cruise is over.

If you've taken a cruise while on a low carb program, I'd love to hear from you and hear about how you faced these challenges.

Stay tuned for less of me.

5 comments:

DD Jameson said...

I am terrified of cruises, when it comes to eating that is. I think I would try to hang out at the buffets and just eat the low carb selections.

You are a better woman than me. LOL. Seriously, have a great time, and if you gain a couple of lbs., you know how to get it off.

Besides there is always a "Hans" or "Emilio" running the gym so maybe your sweets could come in the form of "eye candy". Just kidding! Have a great trip.

P said...

It's easy to low-carb--decadently!--on a cruise. At Caribbean's sit down dinners, you can request as much food as you want. There will always be good meat and veggies on the menu. If you don't like anything on the menu, you can ask if they have any other meat options available in the kitchen. For dessert, Caribbean offers several different cheeses. Don't be afraid to order as much as you want! The 24 hour pizza restaurant has Caesar salads and deli sandwiches (you can request them without bread). Breakfast will obviously be no problem whatsoever, whether you eat in the dining room or from the buffet.

Read these: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=334632
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=203422

I really hope you commit to eating low-carb during your cruise. You can do it! I hope you have a fantastic time. :)

Scale Mistress said...

Panthea-

Thanks for the tips and for the link to that thread. It's nice to see that is indeed possbile! I'm going to do the best I can and I'll keep you posted on my success when I return.

CJaneWinn said...

No cruise for me this summer, but I am sure you will find little problem doing low carb while on your trip.

Were it me I think I would plan on doing what you stated you planned to do - - make sure you "indulge in ONLY those foods that represent an experience that (you) cannot get anywhere else."

You've done so well, and this is a lifestyle change, right? This is real life and you are not setting your expectations too high, but you are well aware that you will indulge here and there, and know the consequences of overindulging. Very healthy outlook if you ask me.

BTW, thanks for your comment and encouragement! I'm in this for the long haul...I really feel as if this is the way that humans were intended to eat. It feels so darn good!

DD Jameson said...

Hi Lisa,

You have been tagged.

If you were tagged before please disregard.

The details are at my blog.