Sunday, October 14, 2007

Seeking Answers to Life's Questions

The quest to keep my weight down continues so I look for answers wherever I can find them. I started reading Protein Power this week. A few weeks ago I read their follow up book and isn't that so like me to do things backwards. Anyway, I saw enough interesting information in their lifetime plan to want to go back and read the original weight loss plan.

It's a good book and if you are currently low carbing it or thinking about it and want to take a slightly different approach than Atkins, then check out what Drs Michael and Mary Dan Eades have to say on the topic.

I'm only a third of the way through the book so far and some it is stuff I already knew from other low carb sources but what I've found most interesting is the formulas they've put together to determine personal weight goals and protein levels. For instance, based on some simple measurements, formulas and charts, I was able to figure out my body fat percentage, lean body weight, Ideal body weight range and the minimum grams of protein MY body needs.

The good news is that according to Drs Eades, my ideal body weight range is 131-142 which seems far more reasonable than other charts I've seen that do not take into consideration body measurements and age. I feel that range is not only completely doable but reasonable to maintain. It was those charts that had me convinced that I needed to be 125 pounds that had me saying "who are they kidding?"

Once I finish the book, I will work at their plan for a while and see how I do. If you've done Protein Power and have any pearls of wisdom, please share.

In other self-help news... I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately with an impending layoff hanging over my head. I'm not pleased with how my employer has handled the whole situation and as of yet, I still do not know exactly when my relationship with them will be "severed" However, in the past week, I've had some internal opportunities presented to me, have gone on some great interviews outside the company and have gotten several promising calls from recruiters.

The problem in all of this is that I just don't do change well. Specifically change that involves key elements that are out of my hands. I'm no good at sitting and waiting for the "proverbial" phone to ring. (perhaps it is why I was never much good at dating.) Which is exactly what I am forced to do lately...wait for the severance letter, wait for my phone to ring with invitations to interview and bottom line....WAIT to see where the chips will fall.

There are too many variables in the equation and sometimes I just feel paralyzed while I wait for ANY of the pieces to fall into place. I hate not having control of the situation.

A former boss, knowing my situation and knowing me well enough to know how I was handling it lent me her copy of Who Moved My Cheese? A book not only had I not read but really had no intention of ever reading. It seemed at first glance to be one of those hokey self help books that was all theory with no basis in reality.

But the kicker here is that because of who gave it to me and because I KNOW she will ask me about it on Monday... I felt compelled to read it so as not to look foolish or ungrateful for the suggestion. So if YOU haven't read it, please do. It will take you about an hour to finish. And if you've ever had trouble navigation change, you will find some useful guidance in its pages.

The bottom line is that my life is fraught with change lately and I have to find a way to cope with that change and not stress about every little piece of it. I can only change what I have the power to change...the rest is navigating the maze.

Zen moment officially over.

No comments: